The game of Bingo has a rich history, evolving through time into one of the most consistently popular, group-oriented games across the entire globe. In North America, Bingo has become the most unfailing church-run charity event in the region, held weekly by religious organizations in practically every city. In the UK, Bingo Clubs have taken over as the number one pastime. Simply put, Bingo came, Bingo saw, Bingo conquered!
Below is a list of some of the most interesting facts associated with the game of Bingo, from the history and development of the game, to who should be playing and why.
- The game of “Bingo” was officially established in 1929 by Edwin S. Lowe, a toy manufacturer from New York.
- Edwin Lowe discovered the game while attending a traveling carnival just outside of Atlanta, Georgia.
- The game of Bingo was originally called “Beano”, because dried beans were used to cover the called numbers on a Bingo card.
- “Beano” became “Bingo” when an over-excited player accidentally called out the wrong word upon winning.
- Bingo was derived from a Lottery game played in 1530 Italy, called “Lo Giuoco del Lotto D’Italia”. The game is still played every Saturday in Italy, and makes up and indispensable portion of the government’s budget – approximately 75 million annually.
- 10% of all women love the game of Bingo.
- 5% of all men love the game of Bingo.
- 7.5% of the earth’s population love to play Bingo. (Add fact 6 and 7; divide by 2!)
- Approximately 30% of all Bingo fanatics are under the age of 35.
The game of Bingo has been used as an educational tool to teach young students mathematics, spelling and history, dating back to 19th century Germany.
Human Bingo is often used at the start of the school year to help introduce students to one another. It is also a popular social game when getting new people together.
- Bingo is the number one community fund-raising source in all of North America.
- The average Bingo game lasts between 3 and 6 minutes, with an average of 30 seconds to verify a winning claim.
- A professional Bingo Caller averages 23 Bingo Numbers called per minute.
- The most popular form of Bingo in North America is the traditional game of 75-Ball Bingo.
- The most popular form of Bingo in Europe, Australia and the United Kingdom is 90-Ball Bingo.
- There are exactly 1,474,200 possible unique Bingo Card combinations in the traditional game of 75-Ball Bingo.
- Because of the way a 90-Ball Bingo Ticket was developed (27 squares with 15 numbers and 12 blanks), there are about 552,446,474,061,128,648,601,600,000 possible Bingo Ticket combinations in the game of 90-Ball Bingo. Not sure how to say that number? Let me help… five hundred fifty-two septillion, four hundred forty-six sextillion, four hundred seventy-four quintillion, sixty-one quadrillion, one hundred twenty-eight trillion, six hundred forty-eight billion, six hundred one million, six hundred thousand.
- Statistically, male Bingo players by the name of “Joe” win more often than male players by any other name.
- Statistically, female Bingo players by the name of “Margaret” win more often than female players by any other name.
- Bingo is the most popular pastime in the United Kingdom. More money is spent on Bingo Tickets in UK Bingo Clubs each year than on Football and Baseball events combined.
- In the UK, Bingo players consume 130,000 breakfasts, 15,000 tons of chips, 10,000,000 tons of hot beverages, 4,000,000 pints of alcohol, and 47 miles worth of jumbo sausages every year at Bingo Clubs.